Tuesday 29 June 2010

Pet Insurance - 8 Questions you need to ask

If you are looking to buy insurance for your pet there are a number of questions that you ought to ask yourself in order to get the best possible cover from the right supplier.

1) Are hereditary and/or congenital conditions covered?
– Some insurance providers will cover hereditary and congenital conditions as long as the condition hadn't been discovered and your pet hadn't any symptoms prior to the commencement date of your pet insurance policy.

2) Do I have to pay the vet and the insurance provider reimburses me?
– The insurance provider will usually setup a direct payment with the vet, however, in instances where this can not be achieved then the insurance provider will send you a cheque for the associated costs.

3) How do I cancel my policy?
– In the event that you are not happy with the cover you are advised to contact the insurance provider directly. Some providers allow you to cancel within 14 days of you reviving your documents.

4) How do I know if my cover has been accepted?
– A payment confirmation age will be displayed. This page will display your policy number and the start and finish date of your cover. Your policy documents will then be sent to you by post.

5) What do I do if my animal is missing?

- You will need to contact the claims department. If a dog is missing you will need to report it to the police. This is important as the insurance provider will require evidence of this.

6) What do I do if my animal is involved in an accident?

– In the unfortunate event that your animal is involved in an accident it is advised that you contact the insurance provider’s claims department. Here details will be taken and a claims form will be issued.

7) What is the claims number?

– Each insurance provider will have their very own dedicated claims number. Please refer to their websites for more details.

8) What should I do if I don't want the insurance provider to send me any marketing material?
– You will usually be given an option during the pet insurance quote process to opt out of receiving marketing material.

No comments:

Post a Comment